The Best Outdoor Cat Houses to Keep Your Feline Friends Fashionable and Fabulously Cozy
Top 9 Stylish Outdoor Cat Houses to Pamper Your Feline Friend in 2023
2023’s top 9 outdoor cat houses
When it comes to extreme temperatures, wind, and wet weather, it’s not just us humans who suffer. Our furry feline friends who live and play outside can also face the struggles of frostbite and hypothermia. But fear not, fashionistas and cat lovers! We have rounded up the best outdoor cat houses that will not only keep your beloved pets warm and dry, but also make a fashion statement in your backyard.
Our Top Picks for the Best Outdoor Cat Houses:
- Best Overall: Petsfit Outdoor Cat House – See at Amazon
- Best Heated: K&H Pet Products Outdoor Heated Kitty House – See at Chewy
- Best for Winter: The Kitty Tube Outdoor Cat House – See at Amazon
- Best Multicat: K&H Pet Products Extra-Wide Outdoor Kitty House – See at Chewy
- Best for Rainy Weather: GDLF Outdoor Cat House – See at Amazon
- Best for Warm Weather: Petsfit Cat House for Outdoor Cats – See at Chewy
- Best for Senior Cats: Trixie Outdoor Wooden Cat House – See at Chewy
- Best Wooden: Feralvilla Outdoor Cat Shelter II – See at Feralvilla
- Best DIY: Rubbermaid Brute 14-gallon and 20-gallon totes – See at Amazon
Now let’s dive into the wonderful world of outdoor cat houses, where fashion meets functionality.
Best Overall: Petsfit Outdoor Cat House
The Petsfit Outdoor Cat House is the crème de la crème of cat houses. Not only is it weatherproof and easy to assemble, but it also boasts a chic design that will make your neighbors green with envy. With a pitched roof, asphalt awning, and removable floor boards for easy cleaning, this cat house is the perfect blend of fashion and functionality. Plus, it’s made with high-quality materials to ensure durability and long-lasting style.
Best Heated: K&H Pet Products Outdoor Heated Kitty House
For those chilly winter nights, nothing beats the cozy warmth of the K&H Pet Products Outdoor Heated Kitty House. This stylish cat house features a fleece-lined heating pad that will keep your furry friend toasty warm even in the coldest temperatures. With its removable and washable bed, easy assembly, and attractive design, this heated cat house is a must-have for fashion-forward felines.
Best for Winter: The Kitty Tube Outdoor Cat House
When it comes to keeping your cats snug as a bug in a rug during winter, The Kitty Tube Outdoor Cat House takes the cake. This super-tough cat house is insulated with foam and straw, ensuring maximum warmth and comfort. Its waterproof shell is guaranteed to hold up for life, so you can trust that your furry friends will be safe and dry no matter the weather. Talk about winter fashion at its finest!
Best Multicat: K&H Pet Products Extra-Wide Outdoor Kitty House
If you’re a fan of feline fashion and have a furry family of multiple cats, the K&H Pet Products Extra-Wide Outdoor Kitty House is the perfect choice. This spacious cat house provides warm shelter for all your kitty companions. Its affordable price, two exits for easy escape, and tool-free assembly make it a practical and fashionable option for the modern cat lover. And let’s not forget its sleek design that will make your backyard the envy of the neighborhood.
Best for Rainy Weather: GDLF Outdoor Cat House
Don’t let rainy weather rain on your cat’s parade! The GDLF Outdoor Cat House is here to save the day. This waterproof and insulated cat house features an elevated design to keep your cats dry and cozy on even the most drizzly of days. With its unique door design and insulation to keep the heat in, your cats will be protected from the elements while looking effortlessly fashionable. Who says fashion and function can’t go hand in hand?
Best for Warm Weather: Petsfit Cat House for Outdoor Cats
When the sun is shining bright and temperatures are soaring, your cats need a fashionable oasis to beat the heat. The Petsfit Cat House for Outdoor Cats is the perfect solution. With its shady porch and well-ventilated design, your cats can bask in the cool breeze and escape the scorching sun. Made with high-quality materials and featuring a stylish two-level design, this cat house is a must-have for the fashion-forward feline in your life.
Best for Senior Cats: Trixie Outdoor Wooden Cat House
Our senior cats deserve the utmost comfort and style in their golden years. That’s why the Trixie Outdoor Wooden Cat House is the perfect choice for our wise and stylish feline friends. With its built-in ramp for easy access, elevated floor for air circulation, and weather-treated wooden construction, this cat house ensures that senior cats can enjoy their retirement in style. Who says getting older can’t be fabulous?
Best Wooden: Feralvilla Outdoor Cat Shelter II
For the eco-conscious fashionistas out there, the Feralvilla Outdoor Cat Shelter II is the ultimate cat house of your dreams. Made from wood composite and fully insulated with foam, this cat house is not only stylish but also environmentally friendly. Its fully protected “bedroom” keeps kitties warm and dry in even the worst weather conditions, while its sleek design will make your backyard the talk of the town. It’s the perfect choice for those who want to make a fashion statement while keeping their cats safe and cozy.
Best DIY: Rubbermaid Brute 14-gallon and 20-gallon totes
For our crafty fashionistas, the Rubbermaid Brute 14-gallon and 20-gallon totes are here to fulfill your creative desires. With just a few easily accessible materials, you can create a customized and affordable cat house that is both waterproof and easy to maintain. Let your imagination run wild as you design a stylish and cozy shelter for your furry friends. After all, there’s nothing more fashionable than a DIY masterpiece!
What to Look for in Outdoor Cat Houses
When choosing the perfect outdoor cat house, it’s important to consider a few key factors to ensure both fashion and functionality. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Weather Resistance: Look for cat houses made with water-resistant and waterproof materials to keep your cats dry and cozy in any weather.
- Insulation: Opt for cat houses with built-in insulation or ones that can easily be outfitted with insulating materials like Mylar, Styrofoam, and straw to keep your cats warm in winter and cool in summer.
- Ease of Assembly: Choose cat houses that require minimal assembly and come with clear instructions, or channel your inner DIY guru and create your own stylish masterpiece.
- Size: Consider the size of your cats and the number you want to shelter. Smaller, snug cat houses help retain body heat better and provide a cozier environment.
- Entry and Exit Points: While two entrances may offer an easier escape route for cats, they can also let in unwanted cold air and rain. Opt for elevated doors with awnings to keep out the elements.
- Cost: You don’t have to break the bank to have a fashionable and functional cat house. There are options for every budget, from pre-made houses to DIY projects.
- Safety: Ensure that the cat house has entrances only big enough for cats to prevent larger unwelcome visitors from entering. Safety first, fashion second!
- Placement: Consider where you will place the cat house to offer the most protection. Under an overhang, inside a shed, or in a sheltered location is ideal.
With these tips in mind, you’re ready to embark on your journey to find the purr-fect outdoor cat house that combines fashion and function for your fabulous feline friends.
Cat House FAQs
- How should I clean my cat’s house? Clean your cat’s house with gentle soap and water or pet-safe cleaning products. Avoid using strong cleaners that may be too harsh for sensitive feline noses.
- What is the best size for an outdoor cat house? The ideal size will depend on your cat’s height, weight, and the number of cats you want to shelter. Provide enough space for your cats to stand up and turn around comfortably.
- Do outdoor cat houses need litter boxes? Full-time outdoor or stray cats typically don’t use litter boxes, but you can set up an outdoor litter box nearby to encourage good bathroom habits.
- Do feral cats use outdoor cat houses? Feral cats often seek shelter in outdoor cat houses, especially in harsh weather conditions. An insulated and elevated cat house is ideal for feral cat protection.
- What is the best way to heat an outdoor cat house? You can use insulation materials like Mylar, Styrofoam, and straw to provide extra warmth. Electric pet heating pads can also be used, as long as they are regularly monitored and cleaned.
- How do outdoor cats stay warm in the winter? Outdoor cats stay warm by finding cozy spots, huddling together, or seeking shelter in places like car engines. Providing frequent large meals can also help them generate energy to stay warm.
- How do you shelter an outdoor cat? Offer cats access to a garage, barn, or shed with heat, water, and food. If that’s not possible, set up a pre-made cat house or build a DIY shelter that is insulated and waterproof.
- Do outdoor cats need a cat house? While outdoor cats can survive without a cat house, providing one ensures they have a safe place to rest and seek shelter from harsh weather conditions.
- Are outdoor cat houses safe? Outdoor cat houses are generally safe, but make sure they have limited entrances and secure construction to prevent unwelcome visitors.
- Where’s the best place to put an outdoor cat house? Place the cat house in a private area, preferably under an overhang or in a sheltered location away from predators. Secure it with a bike lock or tether if placed in a public area.
- What should I put inside an outdoor cat house? Use straw or wood chips for bedding, as fabrics or cushions can retain moisture and freeze. Avoid leaving excess food that may attract other animals.
Now that you’re armed with all the knowledge you need, go forth and find the outdoor cat house that combines fashion, comfort, and safety for your fabulous feline companions.